Friday, August 21, 2009

Ramadan

Today is the first day of Ramadan, a very holy month for Muslims. During the day shops were 0pen, but closed for prayers then reopened. I was shopping for some needed things for my apartment, when I was asked to leave because the store was closing for an hour. I didn't go back. I will go another day, but I will remember that during Ramadan schedules change.

This evening, after sundown, the streets were massed with people. Restaurants were full to overflowing, cars were parked everywhere--places they normally are not and should not be now. I was on an outing with some of the new teachers and the busses carrying us got so muddled up in traffic and narrowed streets that we were stopped twice while two of the men got out and guided the bus through. We cleared the narrowed streets with less than an inch on each side. The bus driver was magnificent. Such is life in a Muslim country during Ramadan.

I must share this with you. Egypt went off daylight savings time yesterday, just in time for Ramadan.

No comments:

Post a Comment