Friday, October 9, 2009

Time and Numbers

This clock is on the subway platform where you wait for the train. It is a great way to learn the numbers---at least what they look like. I especially like the 7 and 8. The 6 looks like a 7 to me and the 5 looks like a 0. The 2 looks like a backwards 7 and the 3 and 4 are strange enough that I remember them. Actually I think the three should be the four and the four should be a three, because it looks like a backwards 3 to me. But that is just my humble opinion.

For those of you interested in such things here are the numbers. You can see what they look like on the clock. Pronounce the capital letters with a heavier sound for the letter. Here goes: 0= sefr, 1= waaHed, 2=ethayn, 3=thlaathah, 4=arbaAh, 5=khamsah (you don't really pronounce the k at the beginning--sort of give it breath only), 6=settah, 7=sabAh, 8= thamaaneeyah, 9= tesAh, 10= Ashsrah, 11= Hedaash and 12=etnaash. There you go, Now you try to say them.

According to this clock it is just about 10 minutes before 5:00 PM. The subway was crowded with people going home from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment