Sunday, October 25, 2009

And Then....There Are Palm Trees

These are just ordinary palm trees that line the streets of Cairo. Cairo has several kinds of palm trees. I only point this out because there is another kind of palm tree that took me a while to figure out. The fronds never moved and the tree was almost too perfect.

After looking at it for a while I realized I was looking at a cell phone tower. Yes--a cell phone tower, disguised as a palm tree. What will they think of next? I must admit that this tower is far more pleasing to look at than the usual cell phone towers I see at home.

If you look closely you will see that all the fronds are perfect. There is some electrical aparatus near the top of the trunk, and you can just barely see the antennas in the fronds.

Once I noticed this, I began to see them all over. Where once I thought I saw a lone palm tree, I now realized I was looking at a cell phone tower. Soon enough I saw lots of them around town. What fun. I wonder if they can camoflage cell phone towers to look like Michigan White Pines, or a copse of Northern Michigan Cedars?

2 comments:

  1. Sure beats what we see here! Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Janet. Wonder why the US does not do something interesting with our cell towers like that? Helen, friend of Janet

    ReplyDelete